Thursday, November 18, 2010

Surgery

Okay so here's my story!  I got to the hospital at 0530 on Monday morning and got checked in.  Was put in a gown and got an IV started.  From there we went down to the surgery pre-op where I waited and waited!  They came in and drew some blood then I had to give a urine sample as well!  So finally the doc comes in and we chat for a few mins about everything and I tell her I'm ready to go!  When they finally came and gave me some meds through my IV I had been laying in bed in the pre-op area for 2 hours!!!  I drifted off and don't remember a thing until I woke up in recovery!  When waking up there was some pain but I know now that it wasn't pain from surgery it was gas pain from all the air they put in me!  I got some good drugs though and the wheeled me up to my room!  Shane was there for just a little bit before he had to go get Paxton but it was nice to see his face!  I was still just really out of it and would wake for brief moments while they were taking my temp, blood pressure and so on.  Later that night they wanted me to stand up and move around!  I KNEW this was going to be BAD, it always is with me the first time getting up!  So I get sat up on the edge of the bed and I was telling the nurse I was dizzy and nauseous but he insisted I stand up!  WOAH, that did it, I was drenched in sweat right away and started to topple over!!  They put me back in bed!  THANK YOU!  I told you it wasn't time for me to be up yet! LOL  About midnight the overnight nurse thought we should try it again and this time wasn't as bad.  Still a little light headed and nauseous but not as bad and I was able to sit up in the chair for a big and brush my teeth!  At this point thought my temp was really starting to rise and that worried them a bit so back in bed I go!  Around 2am my temp reached 102 so they tried to have me drink some liquid Tylenol! UGH!  NOT GOOD!  I got two VERY SMALL sips off it and totally felt like vomiting!  They ended up giving me more meds and more fluids through the IV to see if they would help!  By Tuesday morning, I was totally feeling better but still not great by no means.  I got out of bed a few more times to go walk around the halls since the HORRIBLE gas pains were not letting up!  There was like one big bubble that moved from right under my left breast up into my shoulder and back again (it's still there now too) and they say walking helps, so I walked as much as I could handle!  Around 9am they came and took me down to do the swallow study to make sure there were no leaks!  OMFG OUCH is all I can say!!!!!!  I got in there and stood up on that dang machine and they gave me the huge cup of NASTY NASTY NASTINESS and made me take a "big" drink!  Yuck for one, and OUCH for two!  They said drink again, so another drink in and they are moving the thing around trying to see if the fluid is going and OMG it hit me like a ton of bricks!  PAIN PAIN PAIN!!!!  The fluid wasn't draining so it was all just sitting right at the top of my stomach and not moving!  That is seriously some of the worst pain I have ever felt!  They quickly laid me and the table back and had me turn to each side and finally while on the left side they could see it starting to drain and the pain SLOWLY subsided!  I SWEAR I will never eat or drink to fast because I NEVER want to feel that pain again!  But all in all things were good, they didn't see anything leaks, but I was just really swollen and tight so they said it would be slow going for me. Tuesday night Shane brought Paxton up to see me which was nice!  I missed my little girl!  They also started me on drinking water.  10cc a hour is what I needed to do and that was HARD!  Picture 10cc of water?  A tiny little medicine cup only filled about 1/4 of the way and I couldn't even drink that whole amount down in a hour?!?!?!  CRAZY!  Around 7pm my IV went bad so they took it out and I was thinking, GREAT, maybe I'll get to go home tomorrow, this is all good right?  WRONG!  By midnight I was so sick :(  I was more nauseous then I have ever been.  So they called the doc and she said, back on the IV I go!  Of course, they had to stick me three times before they got one!  Told them I was a hard stick!  So they give me a different med which made me sleep!  I was so thankful for that!  So Wed. morning rolls around and still a little nauseous but not so bad.  They really wanted me to focus on getting my water in, up to 60 cc (two med cups full) in an hour!  By Wed. night I was able to accomplish this! YAY!!!  I was also finally able to get up and shower on Wed. and walk around a lot more (still having the gas pains).  Wed. night I was also able to have a popsicle!!  It was cherry and OMG it was SO GOOD! LOL  So I was off the IV and drinking my water and walking a lot!  Got pretty sleepy early so off to bed I went!  Slept pretty good expect for the temp checks and the heparin shots (btw those HURT and I have tiny little bruises all over my tummy from them)!  Woke up this morning (Thursday) feeling pretty darn good (except of course the gas pains) and felt ready to come home!  Walked, ate a popsicle and even had a little hot tea for breakfast!  I liked the warm feeling going down!  Again was able to shower and have them clean up the drain area with new tape and such.  While doing so they showed me again how to empty the drain and I was missing a step the two times before and that might be why I have such gas pains today :(  Might has got some air back in my tummy :(  OUCH!  But it's still nothing like what I'm sure it could be!  I can totally handle my 60cc an hour and the doc said she still wants me on Clear fluids until I come see her on Monday!  So it'll be water, tea, popsicles and broth throughout the weekend which right now is totally fine by me!  I'm NOT hungry by no means! LOL  So now I'm home and it sure does feel great to be in my own house!  I have the chair all set up with pillows and my water and COMPUTER (gosh, I'm so addicted, I've missed my computer so much) and my puppy! (which totally wants on my lap but I won't let her)!  Now I think I'll take a short nap and then get to doing some Work!  I missed working :(  That’s how much I LOVE my job and how totally depressed I am about losing it :( 
Oh I did step on the scale when I got home and thus far I have lost 4.2 lbs in the past 4 days!  So after the pre-surgery diet and everything I am now at 227 lbs!  Only 77lbs more to go! LOL

3 comments:

  1. What a story!! I am so glad you are feeling better!!

    Which one did you have the gastric or lapband??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither! I had a vertical sleeve done. Basically they cut out all of my stomach except for what is like the shape of a banana! It's a "newer" surgery (about 6years in the US now) and it has Great results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're home and on the mend! Praying for you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete