Wednesday, February 27, 2013

So you all know that I'm doing the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon in April and that I joined Team in Training to do this!  My fundraising efforts are going well and I'm over half way to my goal! YAY!  I am LOVING the training and all the AWESOME people I have had the honor to meet!

Last night while sitting at home a donation came in through my website
http://pages.teamintraining.org/md/nikewhlf13/dlabayfjlc

And the message I recieved after the message said everything.....



I was going to go anonymous, or leave the amount we donated off, but, we are just regular people, we live paycheck to paycheck, just like most people. With all the people in my house, what I donated was literally ordering my family Chinese twice in one month (We ordered it tonight, and it was actually more than half of what we donated.)
I wanted people to see that it doesn't take much. Use Coupons at the commissary; eat out a few less times a month. Just THIS month. And even if you're not ACTIVELY able to participate, you "join" the group and help the cause. And that feels GOOD, no matter who you are.
And next month, maybe I'll cook a few extra meals at home, cut back on some of the sweets and actually bake a cake; make some iced tea instead of buying sodas. And whether they know me or not, if I can do it, why can't they? They don't have to donate as much
as I did, but if the really look at what they blow money on, and what it COULD be used for, at that point...it' s kind of a no-brainer. How could you NOT do SOMETHING??

I have been blessed to have 4 healthy children and 3 perfect grandchildren. I believe in Karma. I believe that what goes around comes around, and in doing what I can NOW, while I can, for others who need my support, God forbid anything happen to one of my babies...I can only pray that my generosity will be returned in a form that will help the future of my family and theirs.
This is not about me and "who could donate the most money", it's about Shannon, it's about Shannon's family. It's about my dear friend Kylie (who lost her battle against cancer last year) and Katie and Jacob and the beautiful granddaughter Kylie got to spend a month in Heaven with, laughing and tickling and playing with before she brought her down and blessed her son with his first child.

But mostly, It's about teaching my family that by making a few small changes in YOUR life, you can make a HUGE impact in SOMEONE else'. Because even though they are "Grown", I still have a few things left I can teach them. Even if the impact is just a monetary donation that shows someone you care about, that you believe in them.

WOW, words escape me (we know that doesn't happen often!)  This is EXACTLY what it is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment